Recipe: Box patties by Shireen Anwer
- These are chicken and potato fillings for box patties. I have tried both and would like to share the pictorial demonstration of chicken filling though the ingredients and method of potato filling is also given below.
- White Sauce:
- Butter 8 tbsp
- All purpose Flour (maida) 12 tbsp
- Milk 1 litre
- Salt 1 tsp
- Black Pepper 2 tsp
- Mustard paste 2 tsp
- Chicken 1 kg boiled (half teaspoon of salt and pepper and two table spoons of vinegar.)
- Green Chilies 4 to 6 chopped
- Spring Onions 6 strands chopped
- Lemons squeezed 2
- Cheddar Cheese 16 tbsp (cubed)
- Sweet corn 16 tbsp
- Boiled potatoes 2
- Cottage cheese/Cheddar cheese cut into small cubes ½ cup
- Onion finely chopped 2 tbsp
- Lemon Juice 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves 3 to 4 tbsp
- Green Chillies chopped 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper ½ tsp
- Salt ½ tsp
For Chicken Filling (makes 40 to 44 box patties)
For Potato Filling
- Boiling chicken breasts in water with half teaspoon of salt and pepper and two table spoons of vinegar. Once the water dries allow chicken to cool then shred it.
- Heat butter then add flour to it.
- The flour would form crumbled structure as shown.
- Add milk, salt, pepper and mustard sauce to it. Keep on stirring to avoid lumps.
- Thicken the white sauce.
- Add chicken, corns, spring onions, green chillies, lemon juice and cheese to the thickened paste to form the filling. I have not yet added spring onion and green chillies in the picture below.
- Place the samosa wraps as shown.
- Put in the filling.
- Wrapping the box patties. Apply flour paste to stick the ends. Place the ends over each other in a clock wise direction.
- After wrapping.
- I stack them up in a zip lock bag especially before Ramadan and fry as required.
- Deep frying time.
- The box patties are ready to be served.
Boil potatoes, cool and mash them.
Mix to potatoes the onions, cheese, lemon juice, coriander leaves, green chilies, black pepper and salt.
This prepares the filling. For wrapping see the demonstration above.