Recipe: Lighter Fettuccine Alfredo
- 12 oz dried fettuccine
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 12oz can non-fat evaporated milk
- 8 oz light cream cheese (neufchatel cheese)
- 1/3 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Add fettuccine to a pot of salted boiling water. Cook until al dente, according to the directions on the package (about 11 minutes). Reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta to water.
- Heat a 2 quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add butter and melt.
- Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until combined with butter to create a roux. Cook until blonde in color, about 1 minute.
- Add evaporated milk. Turn heat to medium high and simmer until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. It should coat the back of a wooden spoon and stay separated when you slide through with your finger.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cream cheese. Stir constantly until the cream cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add parmigiano reggiano and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir to combine.
- Once the fettuccine is cooked and sauce is finished, add the pasta to the sauce. Toss together over low heat until the pasta is well coated. Slowly add pasta water to thin the sauce, if needed.
- Serve Immediately