Submitted by Lets Share Knowledge team
Stuffed peppers are considered to be a part of the Spanish cuisine, but they managed to make their way out around the world, and to be appreciated by many food lovers.
- 6 medium to large bell peppers (any color)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 500 mushrooms
- 1 medium courgette
- 1 leek
- 1-2 celery stalks
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 100 g grated cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 small chipped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt and pepper
For the tomato sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Cut the tops of the bell peppers, remove the seeds and membranes and rinse under cold water. Place the peppers into an oven dish and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- In the mean time, prepare the tomato sauce. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Chop the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or 2. Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 20 to 30 minutes on a medium to low heat.
- Now you can prepare the stuffing. Chop the onion and leeks and sauté with 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 5 to 8 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms, leek, celery and courgette and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the quinoa and the eggs, slightly beaten, and mix well to combine. Add half cup of the tomato sauce, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, stuff them with the mixture and put them in a baking dish.
- Pour the tomato sauce in the dish so that the peppers are covered just about 3/4 . Top the peppers with shredded cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes.